Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Football, football, and more football!

So, last fall when we signed Mason up for football (sort of on a whim, incidently), the lady told me that football would become our whole life every fall from here on out. I was thinking, yea sure, lady. We're totally not into football that much. But I seriously had no idea. She was so right. The time commitment is one thing, but I was not expecting the emotional investment. I learned more about football last season when Mason started playing (how could I not after spending 12 hours a week watching their team?) I really just didn't get the concept before last year. I honestly thought it was just a bunch of guys tackling each other, trying to get the football and score a touchdown. I am so amazed now at the teamwork that is involved. And the strategy and the skill. Truly amazing. Our team mom made a little DVD at the end of the season last year and I seriously teared up when we played it. I was shocked by the emotion! I had no idea that I had gotten so invested.
Mason was able to play for the same coach this year, and we are so grateful. I kept warning him before he signed up that this year would not be as great of an experience, so don't expect the same thing. But we are having so much fun, aside from Mason's minor injuries. He is really enjoying playing defense-I think he likes being the tackl-er rather than the tackl-ee. And their team is kicking some serious A. We are playing a really tough team this week, but so far we are 4-0. Wish us luck! Go diggers!!!

0 comments: